I have a 93 Bronco with a e40d trans. I just replaced the trans with one from a 93 F150 that had recently been totaled. The trans looked like it been rebuilt recently. The problem is when it is in drive it starts off in third gear. If you put it in 1st or 2nd they work fine, but not if its in drive. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

• Administrators

Bronco Bob...System troubles can be either hydraulic or electrical/electronic.  Your description sounds more electrical or PCM related.  Check electrical connections, the obvious.  You may need access to a pro level scanner or dealership test equipment to reset and test the PCM and functions.  Though this sounds more costly, the end result is to take advantage of the built-in diagnostics for this transmission's systems and circuits.

The lighter and accessible in-chassis mechanical and hydraulic issues can be the shift linkage out of adjustment, defective solenoid regulator valve, 2-3 shift valve, 3-4 shift valve, D2 valve and such.  Since you believe this unit functioned well, maybe even a fresh rebuild, I would start with diagnostics if the simpler electrical connections solution does not work.

Moses

• Administrators

The diagnostics with a scanner will prove cost-effective, Bob.  Even the tools available to independent shops (OTC Genisys, Snap-on and such) are valuable if they have the correct software for your specific year, make and model.  Ford had fairly sophisticated communications and diagnostic feedback for the E4OD by your model year...Let's see what comes up here...

Moses