Good morning,

My first ram was a '99 Cummins 2500 4x2 with 100K miles and I drove the truck until 175K miles and sold it.  That one was a a reliable and good truck just when I was driving the truck on the highway at 60 m/h the truck wanders its steering and direction all the lane wide and I felt like I was driving a boat on the ocean.

Now, I have a '05 Cummins 2500 4x4 with 75K miles and this is a good truck too.  When I drive this truck on the highway at 60 m/h its direction is straight like an arrow just I felt the same wander but in less amount. The steering wheel has 1 1/2" play. 

I felt more secure and strong the steering of my '97 Ford Ranger.

The wear of the tires is even on the dodge ram. 

So, I started changing parts:

- Lower and Upper Ball Joints

- U- Joints, R and L.  I got those Moog with  the grease fitting.

- Shocks

- Steering Stabilizer from that factory in Biron Center, MI.

Conclusion: 

I still feeling the same wander. The truck goes straight but I feel some wander to the left or right and I have to pull back the truck to the center.

Can you please advice to fix the steering problem?

Regards,

Johnny

• Administrators

There is a clear issue with '03-'08 Ram truck steering gears and linkage...Please read the exchange between Megatron and me at:  http://forums.4wdmechanix.com/topic/82-upgrading-the-steering-gear-on-03-08-dodge-ram-trucks/?hl=sector.

If you need advice on how to test your gear for this play, review that article and ask any remaining questions.  I'd be glad to respond, Johnny!

Moses

• 4 weeks later...

Johnny, 

Hay man what's up? Hopefully you got to read through that other forum that Moses posted a link to. As for me, my truck was just like yours in the beginning. Lots of play in the steering box and forever wandering the streets like a stray dog. The biggest improvement I made was the steering box itself. I know they are not cheap but it was worth every penny in the end. Sadly there are still inherent issues with this fix also. However, I do not know if you are running oversized tires or a lift so you may not have the same results with additional issues I have.

One for me is the power steering pump vs. the hydra boost setup. To me the steering pump can not match the demands at idle for both braking and steering with the larger box. Per the system design it will favor the brakes more than the steering and sometimes this can be a real pain trying to maneuver a MegaCab with 8" lift and 37" tires around the grocery store parking lot.. It's the equivalent of having no power steering at all, but the tradeoff for no more steering wander is worth it. I did swap in a brand new pump just to confirm and it does it worse now lol Thanks AutoZone hahaha

The ball joint replacement is a good call. As for the steering stabilizer, I don't know that it really effects too much unless you are hitting some rougher roads, then it comes into play. I ran 2 months without one and didn't even notice it missing.. Also, check your track bar to frame connections. A lot of people overlook the track bar and its end joints. This thing helps keep your axle placed properly under the vehicle. If it moves the slightest left to right it can change your whole steering geometry. Its like chasing a ghost when that thing flexes. One day it's good, one day its bad. With bad track bar joints you can literally push the cab away from the axle or vice versa..  

U joint swap was a given since you had the ball joints out. But this should have no effect on the wandering.

Does your truck have the T or Y style steering linkages on it? The Y style can create unwanted steering habits. It's suggested to switch up to the 08 and newer T-style.

Let us know what you try and what works. I know it isn't much fun fixing factory defects, but you will be glad and enjoy your vehicle much more once it drives and handles like you imagined. Plus it's an investment in your vehicle that should last for many more years. Remember that Cummins is rated for 600,000 mile life span hahah..