1994 Dodge Dakota Parking Brake Issues

I have an odd one, that no one can seem to figure out. On my 1994 Dakota, 3.9L, 5 speed, i had an issue where the parking brake would stick, and wouldn't release all the way, even after it was adjusted properly. After digging into it, i thought maybe the rear cables might have been sticking, and since the intermediate cable was starting to fray, i decided to replace both rear cables, as well as the intermediate cables, but, even after having them adjusted to where both rear wheels will lock up after only 4 clicks, it still doesn't release fully. I have even tried adding a spring to the plate at the end of the main cable, and that didnt seem to help either. I thought release tension came from the springs at the end of the rear cables, and not from anywhere else, but, i am wondering, is there supposed to be another release spring in the system somewhere? Maybe on the pedal assembly, or on the tensioner perhaps?

• Administrators

Hi, biggman100!  Here are parts schematics for both the parking brake cable system and the rear wheel brakes.  If the cables are moving freely and all other parts seem "free", I would suspect trouble at the E-brake or brake shoe retracting mechanisms within the rear brakes.  The parking brake lever, shoe retracting springs or other tensioners could be sticking or worn out: 

1994 Dodge Dakota Parking Brakes.pdf 1994 Dodge Dakota Rear Brakes.pdf

See if this helps clarify...

Moses

Mose, as always, thank you for the help. What makes this so odd is that everything in the rear brakes have been replaced since last September. I replaced the shoes and hardware, including the e-brake arm and spring, after I finished putting the truck back together. We even cleaned the backing plates and repainted them. I thought maybe the shoes were sticking against the backing plate, so, I put a little bit of grease where the shoe rides against the backing plate, and even that didn't help.

• Administrators

You're welcome!...A simple test is to pull on just the section of brake cable that leaves the rear wheels.  Pull at the cable end and let it retract.  If this first section of cable does not return readily to a retracted position, either the cable(s) are binding (possibly corroded internally), or there is something binding or out of position in the wheel brake parts that will not permit the cable(s) to retract.

Moses

Moses, the cables are only a week old. I replaced the intermediate and rear cables last Saturday, and the front cable last Sunday. I also cleaned all the brake dust that accumulated on the hardware since last September, and although the parking brake works, and only takes 6 click to lock the rear wheels, it won't release unless I pull the cable by hand. It seems like something is binding, but I can't figure out what it could be.

• Administrators

biggman100...In gear or Park, wheels chocked, pull the rear E-brake cables by hand where they attach to the intermediate cable mechanism.  Pulling here will isolate the rear wheel brakes and E-brake linkage within the drums.  If the cables move and retract freely, the bind is between the intermediate cable and the pedal mechanism.  If the cables apply the shoes but do not retract, the problem could be at the brake shoes, linkage, retracting springs or brake hardware. 

Another possibility would be brake fluid trapped in the system from either the ABS system or the master cylinder apply piston not retracting fully when the brake pedal is released.  Binding wheel cylinder pistons could cause this symptom, too. 

Moses