Building a 4.6 Stroker from Scratch

I am in the beginning stages of building my 4.6 stroker and really just need a push in the right direction and some help on parts selection.  First off let me start by saying this will be my daily driver/ trail rig I want this to be a dependable build and not something I have to turn wrenches on every weekend so I can make it to work on Monday . I have a 91 yj I went a bought a junk yard motor for my build it came out of a 91 Cherokee but after getting it home and after further inspection the motor is actually a 94 block is in pretty good shape cylinders all look good . I am ordering my rebuild kit from northern auto parts with upgraded Molly rings. The parts that I need help on are valve springs and cam shaft not really sure what to go with are the things I have read on valve springs all the parts are not available anymore and there are so many cams to chose from not really sure what to go with and also if I should go with a high volume oil pump or not thanks any and all advice will be greatly appreciated thanks Walter

• Administrators

Hi, Walter, thanks for posting.  For those unfamiliar, your questions are all answered at the magazine's coverage on building a 4.6L stroker six.  Review these links, we can talk further.   You do need a 4.2L crankshaft to make this a 4.6L, the configuration is at a customary 0.030" oversize from 4.0L cylinder sizing.  Review this material.  My camshaft preference for a pre-coil-on-plug 4.0L like your build is a 252 CompCams grind.  I run no more that 8.7:1 compression.   

Here is a roster of information.  Pay particular attention to the Hewes interview videos and the tuning tips article:

In this HD video vlog Q&A, Moses Ludel discusses the Jeep 4.0L inline six build-up into a stroker 4.6L engine. The build consists of the right design, correct choice of parts and the required machining. Moses Ludel describes the engine parts and machining options and the range of costs.
www.4wdmechanix.com/Q&A-Vlog-How-to-Build-a-Multipurpose-Jeep-4.6L-Stroker-Motor.html

The 4.0L engine was a mainstay in 1987-2001 XJ Cherokee models. Abundant in numbers and very reliable, this inline six is a candidate for the 4.2L stroker crankshaft upgrade. Want more torque and horsepower for the highway, backcountry and towing? Consider this rebuild upgrade!
www.4wdmechanix.com/Stroker-Six-Upgrade-for-XJ-Cherokee.html

Whether you plan a stroker motor build-up or simply want the best cylinder head work for your 4.0L Jeep inline six-cylinder engine, Tony Hewes describes the right approach. Hewes Performance Machine rebuilds and upgrades cylinder heads to meet any requirement. Here we discuss the standards for a street and trail-driven Jeep Cherokee, Wrangler or Grand Cherokee 4.0L six or 4.6L stroker build-up.
www.4wdmechanix.com/HD-Video-Jeep-Inline-Six-Cylinder-Head-Work.html

A freshly built Hewes Performance 4.6L stroker inline six is now powering this Jeep CJ-8 Scrambler. The Jeep is a rugged trail runner based at Reno and the Sierra Nevada region. See how the engine build-up described in the video series fits this Jeep 4x4 perfectly!
www.4wdmechanix.com/HD-Videos-Jeep-CJ-8-4.6L-Stroker-Power.html

When building a 4.6L Jeep inline six stroker motor, there are piston and rod choices. This HD video interview with Tony Hewes discusses cast versus forged piston options, use of 4.0L versus 4.2L connecting rods and proper bearing choices for optimal performance. The objective is a quality, long-life engine for "stump pulling" off-pavement use and street legal operation. Fuel efficiency is part of that equation!
www.4wdmechanix.com/HD-Video-Jeep-4.6L-Inline-Six-Pistons,-Rods-and-Bearings.html

When building the popular Jeep 4.0L inline six into a 4.6L stroker motor, there are piston, connecting rod and engine block machining options. In this HD video interview with Tony Hewes, Moses Ludel and Tony discuss various ways to create the 4.6L engine, using a 4.2L/258 crankshaft.
www.4wdmechanix.com/HD-Video-Jeep-4.6L-Inline-Six-Stroker-Short-Block-Options.html

Moses Ludel shares good reasons for building the popular 4.6L Jeep inline six stroker motor. He describes the best engine build for street, highway and 4x4 trail use.
www.4wdmechanix.com/Vlog-Why-Build-a-Jeep-4.6L-Stroker-Inline-Six.html

Learn the skills required to properly rebuild, tune, upgrade and modify Jeep 4WD vehicles.
www.4wdmechanix.com/Become-a-Better-Jeep-Mechanic.html

Installing a 4.2L (258) Jeep crankshaft in a 4.0L block has become popular. In this exclusive HD video interview series with performance engine builder Tony Hewes, Moses Ludel and Tony discuss the needs of a multipurpose Jeep 4x4. The focus is proper ways to build up a 4.5L to 4.7L inline six from the 4.0L AMC and Jeep engine.
www.4wdmechanix.com/HD-Videos-Building-a-4.6L-Jeep-Inline-Six-Stroker-Motor.html

Building a 4.0L Jeep inline six into a 4.6L stroker motor includes more than the long-block. Matching up the EFI/MPI or fuel-and-spark system is essential. Here is the rest of the stroker motor story, the performance tuning required for the engine to run right!
www.4wdmechanix.com/How-to-Fuel-and-Spark-Modifications-for-the-Jeep-4.6L-Stroker-Inline-Six.html

Moses Ludel discusses the popular 4.6L Jeep inline six stroker motor. A road performance test follows the six-video interview series with Winston Cup engine master Tony Hewes.
www.4wdmechanix.com/Vlog-Road-Testing-Jeep-4.6L-Stroker-Inline-Six.html

Quality engine parts contribute to performance and longevity. In this HD video interview with Tony Hewes, Moses Ludel and Tony Hewes discuss the peripheral parts that provide better service over time. This video completes the 4.6L Jeep inline six stroker motor details as Hewes Performance Machine builds the ultimate trail running, street legal stroker motor!
www.4wdmechanix.com/HD-Video-Quality-Parts-for-the-4.6L-Jeep-Inline-Six-Stroker-Motor.html

In this HD video, Moses Ludel and Tony Hewes share views on the right camshaft choice for a Jeep inline six-cylinder engine. Whether you build a stock 4.0L or 4.2L, or step up for a 4.6L stroker motor upgrade, the camshaft choice is critical. Get professional information here!
www.4wdmechanix.com/HD-Video-Jeep-Inline-Six-Camshaft-Choices.html

This how-to covers the oil filtration needs of a 4.0L or a 4.6L stroker inline six. When installing a 4.0L block into a Jeep CJ or YJ Wrangler, safe oil filtration is a concern. Included are PDF illustrations and a discussion of oil filtration demands for the 258/4.2L and 4.0L Jeep inline sixes.
www.4wdmechanix.com/How-to-Oil-Filtration-for-4.0L-and-Stroker-Inline-Six-Build-ups.html

The Jeep inline six stroker motor with EFI or MPI develops maximum performance when tuned properly. Selecting the correct MPI injectors and matching the fuel supply system to the bigger engine and higher horsepower output require the modifications described here.
www.4wdmechanix.com/How-to-Tuning-the-Fuel-Injected-Jeep-Inline-Six-Stroker-Motor.html

Jeep YJ and TJ Wrangler engine upgrades and conversions are popular. Many improvements apply to both the YJ and TJ Wrangler's 4.0L and 2.5L engines. 4.6L/4.7L stroker kits, V-8s and, more recently, diesel swaps have gained prominence. Moses Ludel answers your questions about the Jeep engine improvements and conversions.
www.4wdmechanix.com/Jeep-YJ-and-TJ-Wrangler-Engine-Upgrades-and-Swaps.html

For 1987-up 4.0L and all 1991-up Jeep 2.5L engines, multi-point fuel injection is the standard. MPI brought major performance gains and new troubleshooting methods. In this article, Moses Ludel describes MPI operation and how to troubleshoot these systems.
www.4wdmechanix.com/Jeep-Multi-Point-Injection-Operation-and-Troubleshooting.html

Moses Ludel shares details about the Jeep inline six stroker upgrade for the 1991-up YJ and TJ Wrangler. When the original 4.0L inline six is needs rebuilding, consider the 4.5L, 4.6L and 4.7L Jeep inline six stroker rebuild option. Complete history and evaluation available here!
www.4wdmechanix.com/YJ-&-TJ-Jeep-Stroker-Six-Upgrade.html

Moses

Thanks that should get me pointed in the right direction I think my Machinest has build several 4.6 strokers but wants me to bring him the videos so he can watch them to make sure everything is right I got my rods today what do you guys think about ordering a crank from the local part store I think it was 189.00$ with a 40$ core all the ones I looked at on eBay and other sources were 300 to 400$ and the one drone the parts store has the shorter nose on it so I won't have to have it milled or buy a spacer and also what do you guy thinks about the engine kit from northern auto parts of coarse I will be upgrading everything I can http://www.northernautoparts.com/part/ek-ek0026 thanks in advance for all your input

• Administrators

The exchange crank is reasonably priced, Lineman26.  Crankshaft grinding can lead to issues, though.  My concerns with any exchange crankshaft would be straightness, rod/main journal machining and polishing quality, journals ground on center, crankshaft balance and any possible flaws/cracks.  The 4.2L crankshaft is stout, and the parts store's source could be a quality "reman" supplier.  They may have a very good reconditioned product...I would still have the crank checked by your machinist and balanced.

Moses

• 4 months later...

The exchange crank is reasonably priced, Lineman26.  Crankshaft grinding can lead to issues, though.  My concerns with any exchange crankshaft would be straightness, rod/main journal machining and polishing quality, journals ground on center, crankshaft balance and any possible flaws/cracks.  The 4.2L crankshaft is stout, and the parts store's source could be a quality "reman" supplier.  They may have a very good reconditioned product...I would still have the crank checked by your machinist and balanced.

Moses

Moses,

What happened to Tony Hewes performance machine shop? I would like to purchase a 4.2 long block for my 1998 TJ Wrangler or have someone build mine to those specifications. Any suggestions?

Thanks

• Administrators

Hi, Ultimax...I'm overdue for a conversation with Tony Hewes.  He had an opportunity to join a race team and build Winston Cup drag engines, shutting down his shop at Reno.  He returned to Reno and joined Speed Technologies.  Speed Technologies shut down within the last year.  Not sure where Tony landed.  He's a terrific machinist and engine builder, I miss access to his work.  Additionally, Dan did incredible cylinder head work, he took his skills elsewhere when Tony went racing.

Where is home, Ultimax?  What access do you have to machine shops?  The critical pieces for a 4.6L stroker motor are the 4.2L crankshaft plus properly matching rods and pistons.  I've kept all of the Hewes discussions/videos and our data at the magazine site, including in-depth information on tuning and injector needs.  Any quality machine shop can "build" a 4.6L Jeep inline stroker, it takes no more effort than rebuilding a stock 4.0L.  The only "additional" needs would be precise block decking with certain rod/piston combinations and verifying the pushrod lengths.  Pushrod lengths generally become an issue with any head and block decking on an engine with fixed rocker arm heights.  I've addressed this topic thoroughly at the magazine in a vlog on pushrod lengths.

The rest of the build is strictly routine performance considerations, including balancing, a high volume oil pump, boring and fitting pistons/honing, and so forth.  The injectors and fuel pressure are often okay with a stock camshaft or even the 252 CompCams grind for pre-coil-on-plug engines like yours.  If flow/volume becomes an issue, I discuss the Ford 5.0L/302 injectors at length, including correct part numbers, at the magazine site.

Trust this is helpful...

Moses

Moses,

Thanks for the reply, I guess that's why Tony has been hard to find. I've reviewed your videos regarding the 4.6L stroker engine build and it all looks simple but I know from past experience the challenges. I'm in south central Washington State if you know a good sharp Jeep engine builder close by!  Thanks again!

Ultimax  

• Administrators

Ultimax...If you have a responsible, traditional engine machine shop at the area, I would refer them to the magazine's Tony Hewes video interview series.  Discuss with them the piston and deck height concerns, choice (4.0L versus 4.2L) and matching of connecting rods and new pistons, and whether the shop can check the pushrod/lifter clearances when the engine goes together.  The rest, frankly, is just good old fashioned engine remanufacturing technique.  Balancing is an added cost but well worth it and recommended...Tuning is at the magazine site, including the choice of "bolt-in" injectors for this increased displacement. 

Your pre-coil-on-plug engine will work well with the CompCams 252 grind camshaft, my quick torque rise and fuel mileage preference from over two decades of using this pattern on inline sixes and V-8s.  I discuss the current CompCams recommendation for the coil-on-plug (non-distributor) later 4.0L engines in a forum topic. 

I know this is hard earned money and a Jeep you must depend upon.  I'm not trivializing the 4.6L stroker build, but beside the concerns I emphasize, there is nothing left to chance if the shop knows how to machine and rebuild a stock 4.0L Jeep inline engine.  For shop recommendations, ask local parts outlets like NAPA and others that deal with professional fleet mechanics and commercial accounts.  Find out where professionals sublet their machine work.  You want a quality "remanufacturer" with the right tooling like you saw in Tony's walk-through of his Reno shop.

The length of the crankshaft snout on your 4.2L will dictate whether you need a spacer washer for proper pulley fit.  This is the distinction between an early and late 4.2L OE Jeep crankshaft.  The later 4.2L has a snout like your 4.0L and takes the serpentine belt pulley.  The longer, earlier crankshaft snout is for V-belt pulleys.  Either crankshaft can be used, the long snout requires a spacer washer and the longer pulley/damper bolt. The spacer is available from HESCO at Birmingham, AL.

Moses

• Administrators

Pleased to advise as the rebuild moves ahead.  Frankly, in my view, it's pointless not to build a 4.6L when a 4.0L requires rebuilding.  The added cost is minimal, there are even "finds" like a Craigslist crankshaft and rods, injectors can be the rebuilt variety if preferred over new, some have even fiddled with cleaning up used 5.0L/302 Ford V-8 injectors.

Keep us posted on the project!

Moses