Cross Country Move Ahead

It seems things have been pretty quiet around here lately.  I suspect David's CJ-7 must still be in paint.  My wife and I are rapidly approaching our move to Tennessee from California, and I was hoping to get some definitive info here about towing the CJ.

I've looked around several of the other Jeep forums, and (to keep it reasonably clean), opinions are like armpits.  Everybody has a couple, and some stink worse than others.

To recap, I have a 1983 CJ-7 with AMC20 rear, Dana 30 front, T5 transmission and the Dana 300 T-case. I will be pulling this beast behind a Uhaul truck, probably a smaller one with a V-8.  I know their website gives this combination the thumbs up, so that isn't an issue. 

I used a Uhaul flat transport behind my V8 Durango when I picked the Jeep up, which worked well.  The trailer was in good shape, but it weighed over 2,000 lbs.  I bet it wasn't more than 600lbs lighter than the Jeep!  I could also get a Uhaul 2 wheel dolly, or put a tow bar on the front of the Jeep.  That isn't my first choice, as I really don't want to drill any new holes in the truck, and I won't be using it as a tow behind anytime soon.

The flatbed is about $400 to rent, the dolly is about $200, and I can get a cheap tow bar for about $75 plus whatever is needed for safety cables and lighting.

I'm worried about dragging the flatbed/Jeep combo over the mountains with a Uhaul truck I don't know.  It seems like the two wheel dolly might be easier.  It's cheaper and might be more maneuverable, but I haven't towed like that before.

Any thoughts, suggestions or experience?  I assume with the two wheel dolly I need to remove the rear driveshaft.  The D300 isn't clocked, and I don't want to be forced to stop to run the engine every few hours, as I understand that is the only other option for lubrication.

• Administrators

60Bubba...I believe you'd be happiest with the dolly, disconnecting the rear driveline and allowing for safe stopping distances.  Do not overload the U-Haul truck, allow the braking capacity of the U-Haul truck to include the weight of the Jeep.  Backing up and other maneuvers will be somewhat challenging with any towing arrangement behind a U-Haul truck.  (I prefer a car hauling trailer with brakes, lights and sufficient load capacity, but many tow successfully with a two-wheel dolly, and the U-Haul type has a low center-of-gravity.)  Keep the Jeep's weight light, don't load it with cargo.

I am dead set against a tow bar and "flat towing".  Aside from driveline and geartrain lubrication issues, flat towing is rough on steering, and the range of steering wheel travel must be restricted.  The end result is wear-and-tear on the steering and tires.  Braking is also an issue, and backing up is nearly impossible when flat towing.

Pleased that you're nearly ready to head out for your new home.  When you do, drive safely with your growing family on board.  Let us know how the trip goes and the best towing practices.

Waiting for your updates...

Moses

Thanks David.  I too prefer the flatbed, but I haven't decided for sure.  We just sold our popup camper, so I'll now be towing the Jeep behind my Durango.  It's a V8, and I've towed the Jeep behind it on a flatbed before, but it is getting close to max capacity.  The Jeep is around 2800 lbs, and the trailer is over 2000.  I still think I'm leaning that way.

We're looking forward to the move, though it will be hard to leave this climate.  There is a very active Jeep club right in the Memphis area, so I'm hoping to join up with those guys.  Keep up the great work on your ride as well.

Case

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, we made it in one piece.  The trailer tires were bad to terrible after the first 500 miles or so.  They were heavily worn on the outer and inner tread blocks.  I wish I had taken pictures.  I ended up replacing them with Goodyear Marathon trailer tires and balancing all 4.  I know many don't bother balancing, but with 15" radial tires, it seems sort of silly to skip that step.  These things are as big as your average car tire was 10 years ago. 

The rest of the trip was pretty much uneventful.  I was too busy to post here, but the Jeep actually quit running while I was on the Navy base checking out of the command about 12 hours before we were supposed to leave.  I got AAA to tow me to the rental house where the trailer was sitting, and one of my neighbors and I winched it onto the trailer with a come along. 

I originally thought I ran it out of gas since I wanted it light for the trip, but after adding about 4 gallons, it still wouldn't stay running.  I suspected the external fuel pump, as they are known to go bad on these FI retrofit kits.

I tracked down a pump and new fuel injection rated hose here in Memphis and had it running again the afternoon after we arrived.  About $100 for the pump and parts.  Not too bad I guess.  Next big project is air conditioning.  Maybe David can fill me in on what he used.  I won't be in a position to make any hoses, so I need to find a kit that is built for the CJ.

Case

• Administrators

Congrats, Case!  Very pleased that your family is safely at the new home in Tennessee.  Good that the pump cured your fuel supply issue, better it failed where AAA was available and not out in the woods with your wife and son/baby onboard.

There are aftermarket air conditioning kits for the CJ.  David would be a good resource for which ones work best.  Like to hear about your installation, choice of a system or at least the compressor and A/C condenser choice.  Really glad you're settled after a very "long" trip!  A/C will be vital with the baby and the summer humidity just around the corner!

Best,

Moses

Glad you made it. I know you're happy to have that dive behind you. My ac system is from vintage air. The compressor is standard gm compressor. Unfortunately the hoses that come with the vintage air system have to be cut to length and the fittings crimped on.....most auto ac repair shops could probably help you with that. I'm very pleased with my system so far.

David,

I'll talk to Vintage Air.  I looked at their website and didn't see a CJ specific kit.  I guess they put together a kit that would work for you.  I really don't want to get into too much fabrication.  I'll probably install the major components and have a local shop crimp the hoses, evacuate and charge the system.

Right now, I'm looking at a kit from Jeep Air.  I suspect all of these are pretty similar.

• 3 weeks later...