IH 1210 Dana 44 & Dana 60 Under a 1974 Jeep CJ5?

Hi, all.

My CJ5 has rot issues; at one point I was thinking of doing a classic resto; but due to the extent of the rot I have decided to turn it into a rock crawler...

I have out in the back pasture a 73' IH 1210 3/4 ton 4x4, w/ good axles; 4.56 gearing...

Front axle on the IH is a Dana 44 HD w/ open knuckles & drum brakes.

Rear is a D60.

The CJ has a front Dana 30 & rear Dana 44.

One reason I want the full size axles under theCJ is to maintain decent center of balance/ gravity for the lift it's going to need w/ the larger tires & wheels I want to run.

Besides relocating & welding in different spring perches/ SOA  & a cut & turn; what else do you all think would be needed for this IH D44 front axle to work under my CJ? The steering would be aftermarket crossover.

I suppose I could get my hands on a dana 60 front axle out of a chevy 1 ton; along w/ the GM14 bolt rear;

I know where a an 85' K30 parts truck sits; but it has high miles on it, & would cost me $1400;

& besides already owning these IH parts, they all have very low miles on them...Any ideas or suggestions?

Any advice or comments would probably be helpful,

thanks in advance, J.D.

• Administrators

Welcome to the forums, Shotgun Jimmy!...Sounds like an innovative project. 

The CJ-5 is a 1974 chassis?  What powertrain (inline six or 304 V-8, or a swap)?  The '73 I-H transfer case and axles are premium stuff.  This should be a New Process 205 gear drive transfer case.  Is the transmission an A727 Torqueflite automatic or a rugged manual 4-speed—or the rare Clark 5-speed? 

Please share a list of equipment, there is much in the I-H that would contribute to a major rock crawler.  Let's put our heads together on this one! 

Moses

Moses,

Do the IH axles J.D. described above have the caster issue of some of the Scout axles?  I seem to remember reading that the Scout axles had zero degrees of caster, as opposed to the stock 5-6 degrees.  I can't imagine it would matter for a rock crawler anyway, but I was just curious.

Case

• Administrators

Case, this front axle likely has drum brakes—big ones.  If so, the axle is a large closed knuckle Dana 44, rated 3500#.  The I-H code could be an FA-18, and maybe Shotgun Jimmy can provide more information from the factory Line Ticket.

If so, the factory caster angle for this axle is 1/2-degree positive.  As you hint, this could encourage a front axle/kingpin shimmy and is a very puzzling configuration.  The open knuckle light truck Dana axles of that era were showing 5- to 7-degrees positive caster, which offers much better steering return to center and less risk of shimmy.  Jeep closed knuckles do well at 4 degrees positive caster.  These are all Spicer/Dana type beam axles.

I'm unclear why I-H does this nearly "straight up" caster on these models.   The most caster shown in 4x4 I-H models to 1980 is 2 to 3 degrees positive, and these are likely open knuckle designs!  There must have been a reason as these settings went on year after year.  Maybe concern about tire wear or kingpin/knuckle bearing loads—or snow plow use, or the front U-joint angle?  This light caster angle also impacts the turning radius...A quality steering damper would be mandatory.

Were it my truck, Scout or Scout II, I would throw 4 degrees positive caster into the setting and see what develops!

Moses

It has the 4 speed, which I believe is a Muncie? SM 432, is that right? I'll have to look that up.

10 spline NP205 transfer case; when I first got the truck I thought it would have a closed knockle Dana 44; surprise, surprise; open knuckle HD version w/ drum brakes...Aparently 73 is the only year that International did this...

So I believe a disc brake conversion would not be too difficult.

I'll have to check the castor on the axle; if it's 0 degrees (like a scout), a cut & turn will be necessary for the lift.

I have read that the 10 spline output shaft on the NP205 can be swapped for a 32 spline, much tougher...

I am almost wondering if I should consider restoring the 1210; although the bed is pretty much trash & there is no tailgate; I could always build a flatbed on the back...This truck has very low miles on it; it's just that the bed is beyond restoration; basically hammered. But it does run like a top, 345 v8.

Slight ransfer case leak & terrible oil pan gasket leak.

What to do w/ the CJ? It has a Borg warner 4 speed in it; Dana 44 rear, dana 30 front axle & dana 20 transfer case.

Some PO put a Rancho 2.5" lift under it; other than that it's pretty much stock.

Has the original hardtop.

252 6 cylinder engine. 106,000 original miles.

Has a roll cage; either aftermarket installed by a PO, or it's Jeep- same color as the body, but the body has been repainted.

The tub under the floor mats, rockers & corners are rust out.

Everything seems to work, but it has a bad engine main seal leak & some carb issues, which I believe are due to old gas/ ethanol...

Dana 60 front & 14 bolt rear would be nice w/ maybe a v8 conversion? lift, crossover steering?

Decisions, decisions...

• Administrators

Informative post, Shotgun Jimmy!  I'm replying below in highlight...Moses

It has the 4 speed, which I believe is a Muncie? SM 432, is that right? I'll have to look that up.

Likely a New Process 435, though the SM465 Muncie was in the field at the time for GM trucks...I-H liked Chrysler for the A727 automatic and may have partnered with Chrysler's NP Gear for the 4-speeds.  I-H also used T98, T18 and T19 Borg-Warner units on various models.

10 spline NP205 transfer case; when I first got the truck I thought it would have a closed knockle Dana 44; surprise, surprise; open knuckle HD version w/ drum brakes...Aparently 73 is the only year that International did this...

Yippee, much better with open knuckle!...Dana went to open knuckle front axles on Jeep, Ford, GM, Dodge and I-H models during this period, though Ford and I-H stayed with drum front brakes longer on their 3/4-ton trucks.  Even Jeep CJs held out, your '74 is drum front brakes with the open knuckle Dana 30.

So I believe a disc brake conversion would not be too difficult.

I'll have to check the castor on the axle; if it's 0 degrees (like a Scout), a cut & turn will be necessary for the lift.

I have read that the 10 spline output shaft on the NP205 can be swapped for a 32 spline, much tougher...

Advance Adapters can clarify this and has many conversion pieces...

I am almost wondering if I should consider restoring the 1210; although the bed is pretty much trash & there is no tailgate; I could always build a flatbed on the back...This truck has very low miles on it; it's just that the bed is beyond restoration; basically hammered. But it does run like a top, 345 v8.

Slight transfer case leak & terrible oil pan gasket leak.

I'm a fan of the I-H trucks.  If you need a hefty 3/4-ton, this would be a good one!  Nice equipment list...

What to do w/ the CJ? It has a Borg Warner 4 speed in it; Dana 44 rear, dana 30 front axle & dana 20 transfer case. 

Stock Jeep 4-speed is the T18, usually a close-ratio version with 4.02:1 first (compound) gear instead of 6.32:1 or 6.40:1.  Good unit regardless....

Some PO put a Rancho 2.5" lift under it; other than that it's pretty much stock.

Has the original hardtop.

252 6 cylinder engine. 106,000 original miles.

Has a roll cage; either aftermarket installed by a PO, or it's Jeep- same color as the body, but the body has been repainted.

The tub under the floor mats, rockers & corners are rust out.

Everything seems to work, but it has a bad engine main seal leak & some carb issues, which I believe are due to old gas/ ethanol...

Dana 60 front & 14 bolt rear would be nice w/ maybe a v8 conversion? lift, crossover steering?

Big axles, lots of unsprung weight added...The '74 CJ has a boxed frame only to the rear anchors of the front springs.  Make sure you modify the frame to hold up.  The '72-'75 frames are known to crack or even break off right behind this boxed front spring anchor point at the frame.

Decisions, decisions...