trying to locate one in particular and I have been told that it is
discontinued with no replacement. The part number is 83506088. It is for the
3rd and 4th synchronizer and is 1.90mm. Do you have any idea where to source
this part at? Any help would be greatly appreciated. This one ring is
holding me up on my assembly.
Thanks!

BG

• Administrators

Hi, BG, welcome to the forums!... Another OEM prospect is Toyota, as they use the AX15 as the A150 and other designations.  Toyota is very efficient about this kind of selective fit parts choice.  Toyota has a long service/parts relationship with the AX15. Try a local Toyota dealership.

Beyond that, 4WD Hardware does have rebuild parts, perhaps you've been to its catalog.  Selective fit snap rings can be an issue and were once part of a "small parts kit" for any transmission rebuild.  If you cannot find the ring readily, try the Big Blue catalog for MSC Direct online.  Also, a fastener supplier like Fastenal may be helpful. 

Additionally, a visit to a busy transmission shop that rebuilds Aisin transmissions likely will find a box full of new and quality used rings.  (Bring your vernier caliper or a micrometer.)  Shops are usually generous in sharing this hardware, as they know how difficult it can be to source.

Trust this helps, BG.  Enjoy the forums, there's a great community growing here!—Moses

Moses,

I wanted to let everyone know that after exhausting all of my local resourses (checking parts stores, transmission shops, etc) I found a good list of all of the parts needed online at the following link. http://www.factorychryslerparts.com/

I was not too happy with the price for the part ($14.20 + $10.95 shipping), but hey what are you going to do when you have to have it?? I only hope that they ACTUALLY have the part in stock. Thanks for the information and hopefully this will help someone out in the future. 

Thanks 

BG

• Administrators

Wow, BG, a gold-plated snap ring?  Others have commented about OEM pricing of AX transmission parts, also OEM pricing for NV3550 pieces.  There has been major upheaval at Chrysler, three owners in less than a decade, a near financial end with parts inventories shrinking and scattered, dealers folding, and suppliers like New Venture falling away. 

This is very unfortunate and should be changing shortly.  Chrysler Group, LLC, is doing very well, returning impressive quarterly profits and selling record numbers of vehicles—especially Jeep JK Wranglers.  On a go-forward, let's trust that parts pricing will reflect the increasing stability and profitability of the organization. 

It would be interesting to try my suggestion and price that same selective fit snap ring through a Toyota dealership.  A savvy counterperson knows the AX15 (under A150 and other trade names), and they can likely turn up the part.  If you should take it that far, let us know.  If you move on in the interest of getting your Jeep back on the road, I fully understand...Thanks for sharing your parts source, that's valuable to others.

Best with the build, BG, I can tell you're being very thorough and doing a detailed, "blueprint" job!—Moses

• Administrators

BG, I am confident that a sharp Toyota parts counterperson will have access to this information and turn up the snap ring in the right size...

Let us all know, the AX15 parts chase may be easier with Toyota in the loop...Also curious what Toyota charges for the snap ring.  The multi-year debacle at Chrysler sent parts sourcing and inventory into the ozone—and pricing apparently hasn't come back to Earth yet!  I'm optimistic, Chrysler Group returned a $166M net profit for the first quarter of this year.  With financial stability and debt elimination, Mopar parts inventories and pricing should improve!—Moses