Dodge Dakota Clutch Upgrade Options

Moses, i was wondering if you might be able to find out what clutches were available factory, with part numbers, for my 1994 Dakota, with the 3.9 and ax15. The reason im looking, is because even though it had the clutch replaced when i did all the work, i have always had an issue with it not holding very well even on slight inclines, and then, recently, while trying to pull a truck out of a ditch, i smoked the clutch a bit, so, when i change it in the spring, im looking for something a bit better than stock, but all i seem to find through the dealer or the local parts stores, is just the one clutch set.

What i cant seem to find is information such as clutch diameter, spline count, pressure plate specs, things of that nature. I figure, even if its starting with factory part numbers, maybe i can do some cross referencing, and see what other vehicles may have used the same clutch, and then maybe find a better clutch set by using those vehicles as a starting point. For example, i know some of the jeeps use the ax15, and the 4.0, which i know they make upgraded clutches for, so maybe i can use one of those clutches as an upgrade on my truck.

• Administrators

Biggman...I'll begin by saying that every one of my 4x4s since the late 1980s has benefitted from a Centerforce clutch.  The design is simply unbeatable as an aftermarket solution, especially when clutch size (diameter) is limited by bellhousing or flywheel face and bolt spacing.

The reason I'm this emphatic is that the Centerforce weighted fingers are the only contemporary design to offer an alternative to heavy clutch springs and manual clamping force.  By design, the patented Centerforce clutch design places flyweights on diaphragm-type fingers.  The faster the clutch cover spins, the more clamping force applies, sandwiching the disc that much more tightly between the flywheel face and pressure plate surfaces.  I have installed Centerforce II clutches behind everything from 383 Chevy stroker V-8s to a modified Pinto arrangement retrofitted to an F-head four-cylinder vintage Jeep!  Pedal pressure is smooth and minimal, clamping force remains high.

Sensible use of the clutch means that one Centerforce II assembly/kit is the last clutch I ever need.  This makes the program cost effective...With a resurfaced or flat and true flywheel, the new Centerforce clutch assembly and release bearing simply pay for themselves over time. 

I'm not "shilling" for Centerforce, this is simply my experience.  Centerforce support for our forums would be great, but facts are simply facts.  (On this note, our sponsor Advance Adapters is a Centerforce dealer by choice.)  There are many other "performance" clutches, but the ones that rely on high clamping force, without the benefit of centrifugal force like the Centerforce, simply create high pedal pressure and the limited benefits of high spring-apply pressure.

We can take this further, Biggman...My other approach would be a larger Chrysler truck clutch that might fit your 3.9L flywheel.  We can explore the fit options here.

Moses

I looked up the Centerforce clutches, and got the information i needed. The clutch is a 10.4 inch, with a 1-1/8", 10 spline center. I also found it interesting that that clutch fits everything from early 1950's GM cars and trucks, to 2009 Chrysler, Jeep, and Dodge vehicles. I never thought to look on their site, because i was always under the impression they were for racing and performance vehicles, and my Dakota is mainly a daily driver. I do want to note, their kits are a bit pricey, but, if that means i never have to change it again, the added expense negates the cost of replacing a parts store kit every couple years or so. Im not replacing it until in the spring, so i have plenty of time to decide as to whether im gonna pull the transmission to replace it or the engine.