Jeep CJ-7 Axle Swaps

I am looking to do 4" lift and axle swap on my '86 CJ 7. I would like a better gear set up, stronger axles and a wider stance. I can do just about anything... with precision even, but...

I just don't know enough about axles to know what to use, where to find them and what is all involved.

Some direction (in layman's terms) would be greatly appreciated!

• Administrators

Shovel Guy...In 1986, the last year of the CJ-7, there were two "wide track" axles used.  One is the AMC Model 20, which was popular from 1976-86.  The other rear axle is a Dana 44, which has considerable recognition in the 4x4 community.

While many really like the Dana 44, the AMC Model 20 is also a rugged unit.  In fact, the AMC 20 has a larger ring gear diameter and is easier to set up than a Dana 44.  The weak point in the AMC Model 20 is the axle shaft design, which uses a serrated, tapered axle shaft with a semi-press fit, removable hub.

The solution for the axle shaft hub or two-piece axle shaft on the AMC 20 is a one-piece aftermarket axle shaft design.  Moser and others make one-piece axle shaft kits for the 1976-86 Model 20 AMC rear axle.  If you have a Model 20 AMC rear axle (has a nearly round diff cover), this is an option.  If you have a Dana 44, you already have one-piece axle shafts with wheel/brake drum flanges.

Determine which axle you have.  With one-piece axle shafts, either will handle tires to 35" diameter.  Tightened correctly, AMC 20 two-piece axle shaft/hubs often handle 33" diameter tires.  I talk about tightening the stock AMC Model 20 axle shaft hub nuts at another forum post:  http://forums.4wdmechanix.com/topic/277-rear-wheel-hub-installation-on-amcjeep-cj-with-the-model-20-rear-axle/.

If you want even heavier axle assemblies under your CJ-7, examples like RareCJ8's Scrambler are available at these forums.  We can discuss those options.  What tire size is involved here?

Moses

• Administrators

shovel guy...You can easily get by with the stock Dana 30 front and AMC 20 or Dana 44 stock rear axle and 33" tires.  I would consider the one-piece axle shaft conversion for the AMC 20 rear axle, if that is what your '86 has. 

Looking forward to hearing more about your project and how you bring the CJ-7 up to speed!

Moses

• 5 months later...