Vintage Jeep CJ Leaf Spring Info

42 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

2 problems !

I got the wrong transmission mount so I may just sand blast old one and reuse it

2014-04-12171115.jpg

2014-04-12171552.jpg

2014-04-12171558.jpg

2014-04-12171035.jpg

after getting the front springs reworked at a spring shop, painting to look like new and putting bushing in the darn things are 3" too short !

2014-04-12154040.jpg

Since I didn't have originals to match to the donors, It appears these are off a CJ2a or 3A which uses a 36 1/4" long spring. The CJ5 uses a 39 1/4" spring. These will be going up for sale. Just biting the bullet and buying new ones.

2014-04-12173513.jpg

Posted · Report post

Starting to look like something

2014-04-12173841.jpg

2014-04-12173742.jpg

Posted · Report post

So I am bringing the springs back to spring shop tomorrow to see if they can put a longer top spring on

Posted · Report post

The 2A and 3A have an 80-inch wheelbase, the M38A1 and CJ-5 introduced the 81-inch wheelbase.  This is a clue.  

Were your original springs broken?  Why were they not the ones you had rebuilt?

Trust you will find a buyer for these flat-fender era springs.  Advertise them and include the main leaf length (typically eye center to center) to be sure the springs will fit before shipping them to the buyer...The price is right, you had the springs rebuilt by a reputable shop.  Add freight to your cost for the 2A/3A springs plus rebuilding charges, and you'll have your investment back, JohnF!

Moses

Posted · Report post

The 2A and 3A have an 80-inch wheelbase, the M38A1 and CJ-5 introduced the 81-inch wheelbase.  This is a clue.  

Were your original springs broken?  Why were they not the ones you had rebuilt?

Trust you will find a buyer for these flat-fender era springs.  Advertise them and include the main leaf length (typically eye center to center) to be sure the springs will fit before shipping them to the buyer...The price is right, you had the springs rebuilt by a reputable shop.  Add freight to your cost for the 2A/3A springs plus rebuilding charges, and you'll have your investment back, JohnF!

the originals were shot and tossed years ago when I tooke the jeep apart. I since learned to keep everything to match to the new parts

Moses

Posted · Report post

Spring shop said no to longer length top spring. So it looks like new springs. I saw Omix-Ada springs for a good price. Any thoughts on that brand ?  Spring shop wants a good buck for a set.

Posted · Report post

Are your original springs beyond rebuilding? They are 39-5/8" length, right? Could the shop rebuild it for the same cost as the CJ-2A/3A springs?

Moses

Posted · Report post

I no longer have the originals. Scrapped years ago

Posted · Report post

Moses

Found these front springs on Craigslist real cheap. Claims they are stock out of a 1970 CJ5 but I've never seen stock jeep springs turn down like this on the edges. Do these look stock to you ?

00r0r_h9UOeoW1XE3_600x450.jpg

Posted · Report post

JohnF...Could very much be stock springs for 1970.  The "turn down" is to eliminate spring leaf friction.  More modern springs use nylon inserts at the ends to accomplish this.  The aim is to prevent premature damage to the leafs from rusty, dirty spring ends digging into the adjacent leaf.

You've seen that pattern in worn old springs.  As you discovered with the loosening of the plates for spring bolt replacement, the natural curvature of the spring leaf creates abrasive angles at each leaf end.  This presses into the adjacent leaf when the springs stretch out and the leaf ends curve inward.

As many of us have discovered, Jeep was poor at illustrating parts in both the factory parts manuals and the service manuals.  Jeep was also inconsistent about parts sourcing and model year changes for parts.  Parts often got carried over from previous models and actually do not "match" the year of the vehicle.  Clear changes take place between major model shifts, like the 2A/3A/3B (MB/M38) to CJ-5 (M38A1), or the Kaiser era changeover to distinct AMC/Jeep models in 1972.

If these springs have the correct length and width, are not broken leafs or beyond rebuilding, and if the price is right, there is nothing "wrong" with leaf springs that will not chafe between the plates.  The curved ends, in themselves, do not present a problem if these springs are the correct length, width and spring rate.

Moses

Posted · Report post

Thanks Moses

A fellow Jeeper sold them to me for $ 10.00 yes thats ten dollars. I will take them to the spring shop to have them go over them.

Posted · Report post

Glad you worked this out, JohnF.  If you can find a home for the 2A/3A springs, freshly rebuilt, that would be great. 

Do we need a classified section at these forums for moving members' equipment and parts like these springs?

Moses

Posted · Report post

Glad you worked this out, JohnF.  If you can find a home for the 2A/3A springs, freshly rebuilt, that would be great. 

Do we need a classified section at these forums for moving members' equipment and parts like these springs?

Moses

I would love to see that. I have a bunch of parts to sell

Posted · Report post

Got the draw bar on today and new u joints in rear shaft

2014-04-19183937.jpg

2014-04-19190250.jpg

Posted · Report post

Nice work, JohnF...Your project is a major restoration.  Many of your photos reveal "before and after", and the work to date has been substantial.  You're making very good headway.  The result will be a whole new life for a classic, prized Jeep CJ-5! 

Moses

Posted · Report post

I got the transmission and transfer case mounted, I was told I should mount it to the engine when its done before installing on the chassis to line everything up ? oh well, only a few bolts. Good to see it on though :)

2014-04-29171027.jpg

2014-04-29170904.jpg

2014-04-29170849.jpg

2014-04-29170839.jpg

Painted the winch housing too.

2014-04-30164213.jpg

Posted · Report post

Nice work, JohnF, as you move the process along.  You're really making progress here!

Moses