Info on Ramsey P.T.O. and Winch Rebuild

Had some down time so I decided to clean up the PTO. I degreased everything then took a wire wheel in a drill and " polished " everything up. Not sure if this came painted black from the factory or bare but I am liking the contrast with the bare aluminum and the black transfer case.

Anyway, is there any info around on rebuilding these PTO's as well as the front mounted factory winch ? Where to get parts, seals, gaskets ??

2014-03-05150352.jpg

2014-03-05150408.jpg

2014-03-05150413.jpg

2014-03-05150425.jpg

2014-03-05150432.jpg

2014-03-05150443.jpg

2014-03-05150453.jpg

I went and disassembled everything. Looks like I need both oil seals and sprocket. I see I can get a weld a sprocket and hub but there are different pitches to the sprockets and different chain number's. Any idea what to get ?

2014-03-05154722.jpg

2014-03-05160800.jpg

2014-03-05160816.jpg

2014-03-05160822.jpg

• Administrators

JohnF...Good you took this unit apart before using it again!  Ramsey is still very much in business and may be helpful, try the tech line.  Another source would be Jon Compton at Border Parts, Spring Valley, CA.  Give Jon my best regards!

The sprocket may have commonality with industrial and logging industry equipment sprockets.  This could be another source.  If you can find the size and fit, be sure of the quality and torque/load rating for any winch parts...I see the sprocket's index pin looks solid, not a spring roll pin.  Match the solid pin for load capacity...Try MSC Direct (online) or Grainger and McMaster-Carr for these sprocket pieces.

Moses

• Administrators

Boy, JohnF, aluminum threads this old can be scary and often lead to Heli-Coil or Time-Sert repairs.  You're wise to be conservative.  I'm assuming all threads are USS/course and 1/4", 5/16" and 3/8"?

If so, here are some basic, maximum torque guidelines that make sense with SAE fine and course aluminum threads (courtesy of Allpar.com) and both Grade 5 and Grade 8 bolts:

post-1-0-74798800-1394477032_thumb.jpg post-1-0-35652700-1394477034_thumb.jpg

I agree with the chart findings and note these maximums for Grade 5 bolts into aluminum threads (see .jpg charts above).  For Grade 8 bolts, see the charts:

1/4" threads:  6 ft-lbs

5/16" threads: 12 ft-lbs

3/8" threads:  20 ft-lbs

Use blue Loctite 242 or an anaerobic sealant on threads—I never use red 271 Loctite on aluminum threads!  Red can lead to threads coming out with the bolt on the next removal.  If threads feel "soft", do not continue tightening—the aluminum threads will pull out next...The 242 will prevent back-off and also provides torque/strength over time.

Try this and let us know how it "feels" for tightness...

Trust this helps, JohnF!

Moses

• Administrators

This would be a most unusual fit between the pins and the collar slot.  It is likely the legs are twisted—uniformly.  If you place this shift fork into the collar's slot, it should be apparent that this is not the correct fit.  The pins' shoulders typically ride parallel to the collar slot edges...Make sense?

Please furnish a photo of the collar and its slot arrangement.  I'd like to confirm this parts relationship...

To your knowledge, has this assembly ever been apart before?  The grease looks "original" for a 1967 vintage winch.  Can you obtain a service manual (reprint/PDF or whatever) or service details from Ramsey?  They may find your project of interest, especially with the exposure at these forums.

Do any members have details like a parts or service manual for this winch?

Moses

• 2 months later...
  • Administrators

Give me a shaft diameter and thread pitch, JohnF.  A photo of the nut and locking hardware would help, too.  I can provide a torque setting, looks similar to a Warn/Saturn overdrive shaft...Let's confirm.  This needs to be tight, we'll see how tight. 

Wow, ZEP is "chemical" all right!  The fine print...

Moses

Give me a shaft diameter and thread pitch, JohnF.  A photo of the nut and locking hardware would help, too.  I can provide a torque setting, looks similar to a Warn/Saturn overdrive shaft...Let's confirm.  This needs to be tight, we'll see how tight. 

Wow, ZEP is "chemical" all right!  The fine print...

Moses

The size is 5/8" 18 I don't have the original nut so I had to get a standard nut. It is locked in with a cotter pin. I believe this sprocket pushes against the pto bearing ? will being so tight hurt the bearing ?

• Administrators

JohnF...I gleaned the Saturn Overdrive installation data and steps from Advance Adapters' website.  (These folks are very good friends and supporters of the magazine and these forums!)  In the PDF instructions, you can see the relationship of parts and a reference to the torque settings for the hardware:

Advance Adapters Saturn Overdrive.pdf

Read through the Saturn Overdrive details and look at the illustrations.  Note the similarities to your PTO sprocket location.  If the bearing you describe is a caged ball type with an inner and outer race, and if the sprocket rests against the shoulder of the inner bearing race (with the bearing seated against the output shaft shoulder), then these Saturn steps should help clarify the torque setting for the nut. 

Note: The Saturn Overdrive uses a stub shaft, which you do not use; however, if your sprocket attaches like the Saturn stub shaft, you'll have torque figures.  What you don't want is a loose sprocket or a seized bearing!

If the sprocket seats against the inner race (only) of the caged bearing, the bearing inner race/collar can tolerate considerable fastener torque.  You would not be affecting the "bearing adjustment" by tightening the nut. 

I would use a properly graded castellated nut and torque the nut to spec range.  The cotter pin is a safety back-up.  Torqued properly, the nut will not loosen with a cotter pin in place.  An all steel "top-lock" Grade 8 nut with Loctite for insurance might be an option or a similar self-locking U-joint type flange nut like this if clearance is not an issue:

Metric%20Top%20Lock%20Flange%20Nut%20Con

Moses