Jeep Wrangler (1992)

Owner: Megatron

Added: 27 September 2013 - 08:56 AM

20131023_113518.jpg

Dodge Ram 3500 (2006)

Owner: Megatron

Added: 25 September 2013 - 07:37 AM

6-inch XJ suspension lift (Lead).jpg

Jeep XJ Cherokee 4WD Sport 4-door (1999)

Owner: Moses Ludel

Added: 15 September 2013 - 01:16 PM

Photo

Bringing Home a Long Lost Brother—My I-H 1210 4WD Truck!

I-H trucks International-Harvester Scout Scout II I-H how-to I-H truck repairs

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 atsbush

atsbush

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 05:08 PM

So as a kid (17-23) my family owned a garden center/landscape company. One of our farm trucks was a 1973 international 1210 4-door 4WD pick up. We changed out the automatic transmission with a 5 speed out of a scout I believe. We installed a dually kit on the rear and added a stake body. Over the years I grew very attached to it and was devastated when my father told me that he had sold it.

Well surprise! Dad bought it back 10 years later as a gift for me to restore. I have more memories tied up in that truck than are probably healthy. I am looking forward to that truck being my first restoration project but I have limited experience. I was hoping that this may be a good resource. Is this forum still fairly active?

#2 Moses Ludel

Moses Ludel

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 970 posts
  • LocationReno Area...Nevada
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 February 2014 - 08:49 PM

Atsbush...First, welcome to the forums...I'd like to emphasize that this forum is as active as you and others want it to be! I'm pleased to enter any dialogue about I-H trucks and Scouts, I grew up around them during the I-H light truck heyday and have tremendous respect for these vehicles.

As for your rarer 4-door 1210, congratulations! I have considerable information about your truck when needed. I also "teethed" on I-H trucks as a light- and medium-duty truck mechanic in the early years of my career, and I can "talk I-H". More importantly, I know the best practices for repairing these vehicles and how to do a professional restoration.

The transmission in your truck is likely from a Travelall. The five-speed was a rare option around the years your truck was built, and a Travelall could have been the donor. We can discuss this or any of the other components on your truck. The Holy Grail for any I-H truck is its original "Line Ticket". If you have the sheet, you're really in luck. Otherwise, parts can be identified by common industry parts listings.

Feel free to ask questions...This forum and our posts can be a valuable resource for other I-H owners and restorers. Read the I-H posts to date...If you're looking for a counterpart to your truck, follow "bgillon" at: http://forums.4wdmec...4-pickup-truck/.

Moses

#3 atsbush

atsbush

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 03:47 AM

Thank you for the reply and for the suggestion. I did read his post yesterday and will continue to follow his story. I look to be able to pick the truck up within the month and bring it home to start the work. Once I get it here, I will post some pictures. Thank you for your help and I look forward to picking your brain.

#4 Moses Ludel

Moses Ludel

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 970 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 February 2014 - 04:30 PM

We'll have fun following your restoration, Atsbush!  BGillon's restoration is underway, too...He's now into repairing the front axle shaft and brakes, and he found an I-H shop manual, too!

Keep us posted...

Moses

#5 atsbush

atsbush

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 02:11 AM

Here he is about to be loaded onto the roll back for his ride home

Attached Files

#6 Moses Ludel

Moses Ludel

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 970 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 March 2014 - 07:49 AM

Exciting, Atsbush...This will be a fun restoration project and outcome...Like to see more pictures.  Consider some for the "Garage" gallery at the forums...Megatron did a great rundown of his project and equipment on his truck, see the example in the "Images" and "Modifications" sections at Megatron's truck photos.

Looking forward to the International Harvester 1210 4x4 pickup "brotherhood" dialogue...

Keep us tuned!

Moses 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: I-H trucks, International-Harvester, Scout, Scout II, I-H how-to, I-H truck repairs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users