Jeep Wrangler (1992)

Owner: Megatron

Added: 27 September 2013 - 08:56 AM

20131023_113518.jpg

Dodge Ram 3500 (2006)

Owner: Megatron

Added: 25 September 2013 - 07:37 AM

6-inch XJ suspension lift (Lead).jpg

Jeep XJ Cherokee 4WD Sport 4-door (1999)

Owner: Moses Ludel

Added: 15 September 2013 - 01:16 PM

Photo

What shop tips would you like to share?

how-to repairs

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Moses Ludel

Moses Ludel

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 954 posts
  • LocationReno Area...Nevada
Garage View Garage

Posted 07 September 2013 - 12:39 PM

Many of us have workshop "habits" we've picked up that could be helpful to others.  Sometimes its an easier way to perform mechanical repairs or a welding task, other times it has to do with space-saving techniques and approaches that give you more shop floor space.

Is there a piece of equipment that has made a real difference and proven its worth?  A way to keep the shop cooler or warmer that saves energy and cost?  Safer ways to lift a vehicle and work beneath it?  What saves time or makes a difference when you perform routine or specialized work?

Let us know, everyone wants to improve shop efficiency!  Your how-to insights would be helpful to others!

Moses

#2 hobbs

hobbs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 07:28 PM

I have one tip that someone showed my 30 years ago and it has never failed me.  Trying to get the bronze pilot bushing out of the crank shaft bore.  Everybody knows the trick of packing grease in the bore and using some sort of drift to get the grease to hydraulically force the bushing out.  The problem...it doesn't work unless the drift is almost a press fit, the grease just squirts by.  

Try this:  a candle.  Break the candle up and put the pieces in the bore and use the same method.  The drift still needs to be a good fit, but not perfect.  You will be shocked to see that bushing almost immediately start backing itself out.  You need to keep adding more busted candle, but out it will come.  Then use a scribe to pick out the compressed wax.  Very cool.

#3 Moses Ludel

Moses Ludel

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 954 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 October 2013 - 11:02 PM

That is cool, Hobbs, I've always used the grease method with a close-fit shaft or even an old transmission input gear (pilot/nose end with the shaft shortened to serve as a driver).  The wax makes sense:  Less apt to find its way out and very dense—apparently less compressible from your description...Trust this one circulates, what a good idea!

Moses

#4 lastCJ7

lastCJ7

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 03:58 PM

Hi Moses, I like to use an air die grinder with a carbide tip. great for deburring,if a hole does not line up you can just clean it out a bit till it does. I also have a second die grinder with a cut off wheel. This too works great to cut, grind, you name it!

LastCJ7

PatriotJeepers,Inc

86 CJ7,258,T18,Scout300 Dana 44's 3:73's,lockers,8274,fullcage,OBA,Disc,35" tires

#5 Moses Ludel

Moses Ludel

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 954 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 09 December 2013 - 10:24 PM

I have a Sioux air die grinder and use the de-burring carbide tips, too!  For welding projects, you can't beat this combination.  Thanks for sharing...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: how-to, repairs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users