Dodge Dakota Upper Ball Joint Replacement Socket

biggman100

Moses, we were discussing broken studs in another post, and you posted a link to a how to that brought up another question i have had for awhile now. The link to the how-to is: http://www.4wdmechanix.com/HD-Video-Tool-How-to-Using-the-OTC-7394-Hub-Puller.html

About half way down, you show a tool to remove the threaded upper ball joint in Chrysler and Dodge vehicles. Is that tool, the OTC 8034, the same one you would use for the second gen (1991-1996) Dodge Dakotas?

I have replaced a few of those ball joints, and what i usually do is use a long pipe wrench to get them out, because none of the places i have ever worked for, or the parts stores around here, list a tool or carry a tool for those ball joints. The pipe wrench isnt always the most successful, because i have rounded off the ball joint head a couple times when the pipe wrench slipped. I have searched a few tool suppliers online the last few years, but none of them seem to know whether the tool they carry for Chrysler ball joints will specifically fit the Dakota. I couldn't see buying it and having it not work.

• Administrators

There are two popular Chrysler ball joint socket sizes:  1-59/64" and 2-9/64".  In OTC Tools, this is the 8033 (1-59/64") and the 8034 (2-9/64").  The 8033 is essentially a Miller Tools C-3560.  The 8034 is essentially a Miller Tools C-3561.

There are other tool suppliers that make Chrysler ball-joint sockets.  Some are less costly for the one-time user, although you get what you pay for when it comes to tools...Measure your second generation Dakota pickup ball joint flanges.  Let us know which size socket will fit!

Moses

It would be the 8034. AutoZone, which has a repair manual on their website (that is basically the Haynes manuals they carry in store reproduced for their site), and also when looking up the ball joint on their site, says that you need the C-3561 tool to remove the upper ball joint.

I didnt know until your last post that the OTC number corresponded to a Miller Tools number, as AutoZone labels all their tools as Duralast, and Autozone said the tool for that ball joint wasnt available to them, at least not in my area. Now that i know which tool it is, i can start looking to see who has it, and what it costs. I did notice on the Miller Tools website some of their tools are quite pricey, especially if it is for a one time or occasional use.