A few years ago, i took a trip across Canada that actually started in Washington State and went across the lower part of Canada, through Vancouver, Winnipeg, Montreal, and on the way to Nova Scotia and Newfoundland. I was on my way to N.Y. for Coast Guard training, and since they were nice enough to let me drive, and i didnt have to be there for 5 weeks, i figured why not take the trip. I spent 3 days each in Nova Scotia, and Newfoundland, and i have to say, they are both very interesting places to visit. The people are pretty friendly, although a bit uppity, and the scenery is amazing. At the time, i didnt do much off road traveling, but with some of the roads through the region, at least back then, in the early 1990s, i didnt need to seek out back roads because even some of the main roads could have doubled as off road trails.

While i was there, i got to see the vast Canadian and U.S. fishing fleets as well as meet a very diverse group of interesting people. Several languages are spoken in Canada, French and English being the main two, and it was interesting listening to people mix the 2 languages while speaking. Of interest to the off road crowd though, as i learned from the locals, is that there are literally thousands of logging roads, back country trails, unknown roads, and even whole villages and towns that aren't shown on a map.

I know a trip to Canada isn't for everyone, but for those that can manage it, don't rule it out. I have family that moved there years ago to work in different industries, mainly oil and fishing, and they send me pics and tidbits about getting around in the less populated areas, and some of their stories make it seem like, at least in some areas, 4 wheel drive, and even mildly lifted trucks, are a must up there. Canada does have no trespass laws, but, in most places, as long as you don't tear up the property, and get permission from the owners first, even the logging roads aren't off limits, but the logging trucks have right of way.

Another place i have been is the Yukon. This is another amazing place to get away from it all. There are towns and villages throughout the region, but some of those are 50 miles down back roads and trails between villages, through some amazing country that has lakes, rivers, forests, and abandoned settlements in places you wouldnt expect.

The best way to get to the Yukon though is by rail through the mountains. That trip is one that i say everyone should take once in their life if they can. The train starts in Skagway, Alaska, and ends in Yukon, Canada, and goes over a mountain, one of the oldest standing span bridges in Canada, and over or next to several lakes. The trip can only be taken on the Yukon Rail Road, which has been in operation since 1898, or via a 33 mile hike. You used to be able to rent a car in the Yukon, but after having not been there in many years, i don't know if they still do that or not. They also offer a couple of different cruises. The one we took was on an old paddle wheel steamer that has been in continuous operation for almost 100 years. It goes through large lakes, as well as some very dense forested areas.

None of these trips are inexpensive, but if you can afford it, they are well worth the money, if for nothing else, just as a new idea of places to get away from it all. Canada not only offers some amazing scenery, as well as places to get away from it all, but also offers unexpected and worthwhile vacation and trip ideas. It really is worth looking into.

• 4 months later...
  • Administrators

Welcome to the forums, Belvedere!  Like Biggman100, I really like Canada...I passed through B.C. and a portion of the Yukon on the way to Alaska in 1975, then spent time at B.C. during the launch of the Eco Challenge near Whistler in the 'nineties.  Incredible country!

A friend just shared this YouTube promotional video for the Province of Alberta: http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=ThFCg0tBDck. Watch it in full-screen, high resolution.

Watch this, you'll want to go there...Enjoy!

Happy New Year!

Moses

• Administrators

Alaska is very special from any angle, Belvedere...We'd like to do it with a travel trailer behind the Dodge Ram, noting where to park without attracting the bears...Would do the Okanagan Valley as we enter Canada, then travel up through the interior of B.C. to Dawson Creek, the Yukon, Whitehorse, Tok Junction and north to Denali...It's on our list, would like to make it before that changes to the "Bucket List"!

Moses