Moses Ludel

XJ Cherokee Common Problems and Fixes

35 posts in this topic

This is very valuable, Ken!  Thanks for sharing and the commitment to a cure.  Any light cast is worthwhile. 

These problems can seem "global".  I installed a new right side/front door switch some time ago, genuine Mopar variety, it likes to work wonderfully for months then suddenly stops working.  Give it a week or two, it decides to work once more and often flawlessly for months.  This is a clear sign of too much resistance, unlikely a full open. 

Worth mentioning is that the right side front window always opens and closes without a fuss—from the driver's side switch.  I'll check the Mopar switch thoroughly for sticky contacts or excessive resistance.

Your comments and two photos are troubleshooting gems.  I'll share my findings after pursuing your approach.  I also want to run insulation resistance tests with non-destructive voltage.

Thanks!

Moses

Thanks for joining the discussion, hsporterfield!  The XJ Cherokee in the article is our 1999 Cherokee Sport 4-door with power windows, power door locks, power mirrors and remote keyless entry (RKE).  The passenger side front door module is the "brains", containing both relays and switches....

Let us know how this turns out, this is a common switch failure, and the part is usually on hand!  We look forward to your topics and posts!

Moses

2.5 years later... Due to a variety of reasons, fixing the power locks on my 1998 Cherokee Sport 4-door got moved to a low priority list. Today I had to replace the the power window motor and regulator so I replaced the power lock module as well.  We are good to go!

Thank you for your assistance and your resources!

Harry Porterfield

You're very welcome, Harry!  I understand busy...Pleased with the outcome on your XJ Cherokee.

Moses

Hello Moses, and all in the forum

I just spent a few hours over two days on an old problem with my 1998 XJ. Power locking is erratic, unlock is fine. Sometimes works fine for a few days, sometimes not at all for a month. Sometimes finally locks with 100 pushes of power lock button. Same problem right or left door. Same with remote. When pressing lock, it clicks all 5 servos but doesn't lock. I did replace the left DDM, since I had a window lock problem also. That problem is solved, now, but locking remains the same as the past few years. I've read info in a few forums, and completed the PDM continuity test and switch test. I even went to the library to get a wiring diagram. Everything checks out, including the door ajar, key in test. It's so odd that it briefly clicks all 5 actuators briefly, but doesn't lock. I see the problem covered quite well here, but this seems a little different. Any thoughts?

Ropot...I have replaced the right side switch on our '99 XJ 4-door and need to replace the driver's side.  Acts fine for long periods, then the right front window will not go up or down from its own switch.  I relieved this once by cycling the automatic window lockout button at the left/driver's switch, which hints that the driver's side switch is faulty.

The power door locks not working as you describe sounds like a low amperage/voltage supply to the lock solenoids.  You're getting a complete circuit but not enough amperage to close the solenoid switches.  This could be a partially open hot lead or poor ground on that circuit.  The issue is either too much resistance or a partial open. Check ohms-resistance, insulation resistance and the voltage drop as you activate the door lock switch.  

Moses

I have a 2001 Cherokee Limited and I replaced the front door speakers, now after putting the door panels back on the locks won't work. They stay stuck in the lock position but the door doesn't actually lock. When I pull the panel off it will lock but once back together it stays stuck and won't move. Any suggestions??????

Thanks for jumping into this discussion with some very helpful suggestions, Ken!  

The rear window wiper sounds like either a defective actuating switch (internal short) or an insulation/connection issue.  A basic ohms resistance test on individual wires and grounds or a non-destructive insulation resistance test can help if you need to take it that far.  You would disconnect at the rear wiper switch and test wires in the circuit from there to the rear wiper motor.

A subtle issue can occur when a wiper motor's park mechanism has a short.  If so, the jarring could trigger the park mechanism to swipe the wiper, though this would not turn the wiper fully on.  The wiper would simply go through a sweep cycle and park.

Moses

Hello all

Just updating on my post of May 5. Tested voltages and grounds, all OK. Finally gave up and bought a new PDM. IT's cured. I suspect one of the relays in the PDM was going bad, or had a bad solder joint. 343,000 miles, not surprised.

Thanks.

Good job, ropot!  You nailed it without wasting money on excess parts replacing.  The PDM does affect both front switch door functions, and I also had good success with this approach on the '99 XJ four-door.  

I applaud those members who are willing to get out the rosin core solder and a pinpoint soldering iron to repair bad solder joints either at or near the printed circuit boards.  That's somewhat cost effective and an actual upgrade over known OE parts that fail.  RHD models, in particular, have outrageously expensive replacement modules!

Thanks to each of the members who have shared troubleshooting and repair solutions for these common XJ Cherokee problems.  Wiring, connectors, plugs and relays, circuit boards and more!  There is a list of gremlins—and also solutions.

Moses