XJ Cherokee Common Problems and Fixes

29 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

This is very valuable, Ken!  Thanks for sharing and the commitment to a cure.  Any light cast is worthwhile. 

These problems can seem "global".  I installed a new right side/front door switch some time ago, genuine Mopar variety, it likes to work wonderfully for months then suddenly stops working.  Give it a week or two, it decides to work once more and often flawlessly for months.  This is a clear sign of too much resistance, unlikely a full open. 

Worth mentioning is that the right side front window always opens and closes without a fuss—from the driver's side switch.  I'll check the Mopar switch thoroughly for sticky contacts or excessive resistance.

Your comments and two photos are troubleshooting gems.  I'll share my findings after pursuing your approach.  I also want to run insulation resistance tests with non-destructive voltage.

Thanks!

Moses

Posted · Report post

Thanks for joining the discussion, hsporterfield!  The XJ Cherokee in the article is our 1999 Cherokee Sport 4-door with power windows, power door locks, power mirrors and remote keyless entry (RKE).  The passenger side front door module is the "brains", containing both relays and switches....

Let us know how this turns out, this is a common switch failure, and the part is usually on hand!  We look forward to your topics and posts!

Moses

2.5 years later... Due to a variety of reasons, fixing the power locks on my 1998 Cherokee Sport 4-door got moved to a low priority list. Today I had to replace the the power window motor and regulator so I replaced the power lock module as well.  We are good to go!

Thank you for your assistance and your resources!

Harry Porterfield

Posted · Report post

You're very welcome, Harry!  I understand busy...Pleased with the outcome on your XJ Cherokee.

Moses