day 1

the track starts just out of Hyden so we stopped in at the famous wave rock for a quick pic before hitting the track the orange flower is a grevillia a native shrub we collected some firewood & found suitable campsite so most of the day was just driving to the track on the black top

IMG_0191.JPG

IMG_0199.JPG

IMG_0215.JPG

IMG_0211.JPG

IMG_0213.JPG

IMG_0220.JPG

IMG_0224.JPG

day 2

1st pic is me all loaded up ready to hit the track before long we came upon the mallee fowl nest believe it or not that big pile of gravel is a birds nest soon found some mud to play in some sections of this track are very deeply rutted as you can see by that pic of the dry hole there were many like this i think if we had done this trek a month earlier the degree of difficulty would have been tenfold as these holes would have been full of water

we stopped for lunch & this little tata lizard got very inquisitive not for down the road & we came arcoss a larger perentie (goanna)

thats my old mate dennis setting up camp just before some stormy looking clouds start to roll in

IMG_0241.JPG

IMG_0243.JPG

IMG_0244.JPG

IMG_0259.JPG

IMG_0260.JPG

IMG_0261.JPG

IMG_0279.JPG

IMG_0316.JPG

IMG_0332.JPG

IMG_0341.JPG

IMG_0352.JPG

day 3

no rush this morning had some thunderstorms over night so the swags had to dry out a bit before we could roll them up you can see water laying around on the rock

then we drove up on the rocks for a look before heading off for the day heading to coolgardie for fish n chips & a beer then stopped at the lookout with an old mine head then headed south back into the bush on the woodlines track so called as it was an old rail line to carry timber to the gold mines to sure up the tunnels

the day was quite wet we actually had to winch out of a bog hole dennis has these pics on his camera hope to get some from him before too long

once again found a perfect campsite beside the track the rain was gone thankfully

IMG_0358.JPG

IMG_0359.JPG

IMG_0362.JPG

IMG_0365.JPG

IMG_0366.JPG

IMG_0367.JPG

IMG_0368.JPG

IMG_0371.JPG

IMG_0370.JPG

IMG_0374.JPG

IMG_0379.JPG

IMG_0383.JPG

20171014_140334.jpg

20171014_140222.jpg

day 4

hearty breakfast of bacon&eggs not far down the track we came across these unusual wattles with white bark lining the track to form a tunnel effect then we got to cave hill a large rock with a dammed basin to collect water for the steam trains of old another good chance to play with the camera

after leaving cave hill we found another track called mundale 4wd track didnt know that till we got to the other end & it had a sign it was a very interesting track we came across another perentie got a few good shots

then was supprised to find some quandong trees with ripe quandongs (the australian aborigines ate these) usually the emus get them first then on past a few salt lakes befoinding camfor the night found a tree with some misseltoe growing out of it & found a big black pier wandering around our campsite

IMG_0386.JPG

IMG_0388.JPG

IMG_0400.JPG

IMG_0403.JPG

IMG_0410.JPG

IMG_0395.JPG

IMG_0411.JPG

IMG_0412.JPG

IMG_0425.JPG

IMG_0429.JPG

IMG_0437.JPG

IMG_0463.JPG

IMG_0483.JPG

IMG_0484.JPG

IMG_0485.JPG

IMG_0486.JPG

IMG_0490.JPG

IMG_0500.JPG

IMG_0511.JPG

IMG_0477.JPG

IMG_0524.JPG

IMG_0527.JPG

IMG_0530.JPG

IMG_0534.JPG

IMG_0520.JPG

IMG_0544.JPG

IMG_0551.JPG

IMG_0566.JPG

IMG_0558.JPG

IMG_0570.JPG

IMG_0577.JPG

IMG_0589.JPG

last day home time

now thats a sunrise on the road & stopped by a big warning sign  at the end of the track to pump the tyres back up a few wild flowers along the way

then when we passed the start of the holland track we thought we better get some photographic evidence so i backed harry in the track for some pics then headed for home & it rained so hard the car was almost clean when we got home

& yes we had a great time & would do it again maybe when its a bit wetter next time

hope you enjoy the pics if i get some from dennis that are good ill post them to

cheers  ian

IMG_0593.JPG

IMG_0594.JPG

IMG_0595.JPG

IMG_0599.JPG

IMG_0603.JPG

IMG_0608.JPG

IMG_0613.JPG

IMG_0619.JPG

IMG_0625.JPG

IMG_0627.JPG

IMG_0637.JPG

IMG_0630.JPG

• Administrators

Ian, this is fantastic, thanks much for posting these great photos!  Holland Track is why we four-wheel, this kind of outdoor lifestyle defines us...Isolation, quietude and a respite from "civilization" defined your trip.  The Jeep 4x4 came through, your driving skills made the round trip possible, what a great journey. 

The panoramic views, open sky, flora, fauna and historic significance of John Holland's trail are spectacular!  The forum members will really enjoy following the "ride" and camp out.  I've shared this topic link with family, unanimous response has been, "Let's go!"

Moses

Thanks Moses

im glad you like the photos you are right this is the reason for owning a 4wd & harry performed flawlessly didnt miss a beat

if you & your family do get the itch to come see it for yourself let me know i'd love to show you around theres a lot to see around here you would have a great time

cheers  ian

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Wow, essential that you had a land anchor, Ian!  I carry a Pull Pal when heading for this kind of challenge.  Your tool looks effective and gets the job done.  These tools can work equally well in hard pan, to a degree in snow/ice and even some types of sand...a quick solution and safety tool!

Thanks for sharing...

Moses