57 willys pick up another project

ian cj10

Hi Moses

ive done it again gone & made more work for myself but this pick up will be great when its restored im not sure what the diffs are though not sure i theyre a mod or whether these were assembled here with different running gear i do know they did that with the cj6 (combat 6) it had a ford 6 cyl & borg warner running gear

i will get better pics once i start stripping it down & clean things up

its got some rust the roof being the worst the rest isnt too bad that tub on the back is junk ill build something that will look the part

cheers  ian

20170918_165724.jpg

20170918_165826.jpg

20170918_165904.jpg

20170918_165917.jpg

20170918_165934.jpg

20170918_165945.jpg

20170918_170003.jpg

20170918_170041.jpg

20170918_170133.jpg

20170918_170149.jpg

20170918_170202.jpg

• Administrators

Wow, Ian, what a bizarre mix of components and even body panels!  Is this "original" or a cobble of parts?  What's the history?  What were the original pieces, how much of this is the current parts?

The front and rear axles look unique, the front with the notch in the housing, the rear is a drop-in center section type.  All very interesting, what was the powertrain, the TC looks Model 18 Spicer/Jeep.

You find the most unusual "Jeep" vehicles!

Moses

Hi Moses

ive worked out what the diffs are

i stuck my head under a nissan patrol today & there they were

so im happy with that as i have another 2 complete sets with front discs also i have to do some measuring to see if what i have in mind will work as 1 of the nissans i have is a runner rusty but the drive train is all ok & i think the sd33t & 5 spd & transfer would be a good reliable combo as this thing has already had a few mods (most of which ill be undoing) im happy to do a bit of practical modification to make the rebuild & upkeep cheaper & easier i.e.the more parts i can source locally the better

cheers  ian

• Administrators

Ian, your willingness to tackle these projects is amazing.  The rust alone would thwart most builders.  These cannabalized vehicles with hybrid, innovative powertrains are a testimony to previous owners' willingness to make do with whatever components were available.  Do you know the history of this truck?

Contemplating the paint job color already?  Your commitment and enthusiasm is nothing short of impressive!

Moses

Hi Moses

well ive had a busy day looks like the gearbox is a modified toyota box (looks like a tojo logo cast into it) no idea what its  out of being a remote shifter i think it would have been from a column shift vehicle the bell housing is a custom by a local engineering co called seatons engineering in perth it is to fit the aussie holden six cylinder once a very common engine

the conversion to the transfer case looks a bit rough though

nearly ready to lift the cab off ill take the doors off & remove the windscreen tomorrow then off with the cab & a lot of cutting fabricating & welding im going to be a busy boy

20170923_143714.jpg

20170923_143721.jpg

20170923_143734.jpg

20170923_143747.jpg

20170923_143753.jpg

20170923_143817.jpg

20170923_143832.jpg

20170923_143840.jpg

20170923_143912.jpg

20170923_143924.jpg

20170923_143931.jpg

20170923_144128.jpg

20170923_144209.jpg

ive done a bit more today wow this thing has had some crap work done in the past lucky i always intended to do a full resto or i would have had a rude shock

its had parts from so many different vehicles ; holden engine,toyota gearbox,nissan diffs,holden steering box,ford falcon wiring harness & lights & wiper switches,ford speedo,brake booster/master cyl looks like ford also,wiper motor unknown,fuel tank unknown & the seats look like they were from an 80's Japanese car of some sort

so all of that is scrap pretty much & even though ill also be cannibalising other vehicles to make this work im going to make sure my fabrication is of a much higher standard

• Administrators

Wow, innovative in a sense.  Run what you brung stuff!  The gearbox, in particular, looks like early Land Cruiser?  Not sure how far back the hydraulic clutch linkage dates...Interesting!

Glad you're philosophical and primarily interested in the frame and body.  A place to start if you can find a Willys bed.  Or is that the aim?

Hi Moses

i know the price of a repro bed be crazy with frieght & finding 1 in oz wont happen so i think that fabricating a custom bed that looks the part is going to be my aim at this stage

these thing are as rare as rocking horse doodoo over here, im very jealous of you guys ( but if i lived in the US i can imagine i would wont to do something exotic haha cant win, i also have a series 3 land rover)

but im intent on  doing a good job even though an original resto is out of the question

cheers  ian

• Administrators

Ian, I understand how the cost of an original Willys bed and rear fenders would be exorbitant at Australia.  One option that's gaining popularity in the U.S. is the flatbed conversion.  Many Willys pickups actually did have flat beds for ranch and utility use.  Just a thought...You're handy with fit and modifications, a flatbed done right could look right and be functional.

Case in point, a good friend at Reno, Nevada just bought a '17 Ram 2500 Cummins 4x4 and immediately replaced the stock bed with a flatbed and head rack conversion.  His aim is a custom camper mounted on the flatbed, another approach that's gaining popularity here.

Moses

Hi Moses

ive had a chance to do a bit more today got the cab off & started cutting some of the bodgey crap off the chassis still more to go 

theres a few cracks in the chassis so i think i may box it or at least the from 1/2  as its 60 years old already & will have more torque than original

im thinking ill concentrate on the chassis/driveline before getting too carried away with the cab as i will need to address engine/transmission clearances

cheers  ian

20170929_092707.jpg

20170929_092724.jpg

20170929_092729.jpg

20170929_092740.jpg

20170929_092749.jpg

20170929_092842.jpg

20170929_134944.jpg

20170929_134959.jpg

Hi Moses

the motor mounts will be repositioned also that crossmember that i removed wasnt original & would have made it hard to remove the motor mounts & would have been in the wrong place so once the chassis is cleaned up ill mock up the engine/trans & work out how best to strengthen the frame also the rear cab mounts will be replaced & the rough looking shock towers as well the only things that was prviously done that ill keep is the front crossmember but ill clean it up & the steering box mount also looks solid but ill tidy that up to its got nasty looking sharp corner on the under side

cheers  ian

Hi Moses

had too much work on to get anything more done this week

the engine & driveline i intend on using is from a mid 80s nissan patrol its the sd33t & 5speed gearbox & the transfer & diffs (front disc rear drum) it will be easier to get parts later on if its all the same model running gear

i have the nissan already its a complete runner just rusty with no rego perfect donor

cheers  ian

• Administrators

Ian, this is a wise approach...You'll be spinning metric and SAE wrenches but well worth the easier parts access.  Saginaw power steering?  Or easier to use Nissan Patrol and metric parts with Nissan steering linkage?   The '80s Nissan Patrol is beam front and rear axles?  Or is this IFS? 

Very interesting how you set up vehicles in a region with far more access to Asian vehicles than U.S.  Right hand drive Willys parts in particular must be scarce.  1957 Willys chassis/powertrain components are often obsolete and in any case less practical than '80s Nissan.

This sounds like a creative project!

Moses

Hi Moses

thinking about keeping the existing steering set up as the diffs ill be using are the same as what is currently in it but will have front discs so no ifs theyre solid axles also a ratio change from 4.10:1 to 4.30:1 not much difference i know but should suit the 5spd better

im off on my trip on the holland track in the morning so i should have some nice pics to post next week sometime when i get back

cheers  ian